Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #16: Wikis

The Scene: Picard and Riker are discussing the possibility of sending a Starfleet officer on temporary assignment on a Klingon vessel] Commander William T. Riker: I wouldn't mind the assignment, sir. Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Any particular reason? Commander William T. Riker: Because nobody's ever done it before.

Wikis are like wondering into unknown space for me, I had never heard the term or realized what a Wiki was unto I completed this exercise. Of course, I had used Wikis out in Cyberspace with out knowing what they were. Even though I spent over 20 years working in corporate America, the companies that I worked for did not give their employee complete access to the Internet as it evolved. Sad..........a Wiki would have been a great way for me to work with the contractor, supplier, client on their projects. The only tool of technology used to communicate was the phone and meetings in person, they did not even give us the opportunity to use email......felt the employee would waste their time exploring the web instead of working......however what they did not realize was that they were wasting valuable time and productivity.....equaling $$$$$$$.

After seeing and experiencing how easy it was to post a comment to the SBISD Wiki in the sandbox, I am going to challenge both myself and my students by creating Wikis for all of us to work with this year as Commander Riker did on the space ship Enterprises (See quote above).

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

Hopefully you will share your successes and challenges with using wikis with the rest of us...