Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #18: Productivity Tools - Web Acessed

My first experience with a computer was a MAC 512 which I added a drafting program named "Dreams" in order to draw for clients. I loved my MAC and the programs that my husband and I added for business and personal use. Then we moved onto a E Machine with Windows based programs which offered very similar pull down menus as the MAC, however with subtle differences. My next experience on computers was working with ordering programs and drafting programs in the home improvement industry which lacked the features and programing was always 3-4 years behind industry. Then came teaching and access to Microsoft Office.................

As you can see from my experience it is important for us as teachers to embrace the changing technology and opportunities on the Web as our world evolves. I feel that our students should be aware of all of the different types of technology that are available to them whether it be a program that that is purchased or free.

In reviewing the options for free online productivity tools I chose to investigate Google Doc's because it did not require me to download a program to my laptop. In looking at the features, I found that it is similar to the products that I have used with Microsoft Office.......some limitations to font, saving, templates, etc.........however nothing that would prevent me from using the program. The biggest benefit that I saw with using Google Doc's was the availability to work with others on creating a project or event or whatever. Yes, this is similar to Wiki's however I believe that it goes beyond.......I watched a video on YouTube - Google Docs: Sharing Household Expenses where 3 people manage their expenses on line with the features offered in a spreadsheet. I believe that this feature would be of great use to our students because it would allow them to each work on a project in different places or jointly. No more excuses as to why they could not access the information when one is absent and project deadlines would not need to change.....etc.....

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

No excuses...wouldn't that be wonderful! Great to read that you have found creative uses for these tools for your classroom and students.