Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thing #8: RSS Feeds

Remembering the past, my father subscribed to the local newspaper which he read religiously everyday. He watched the news when he arrived home every night and with only one TV in the house that was painfully to his 4 daughters. The only magazine that we received was Newsweek which he tried to get us to read, boring....to a teenager. He would truly be amazed at the wealth of information that is now available on the Internet concerning everything from local to national to international happenings in our world today.



Prior to teaching I would search for recipes and articles that interested me only, however since I started teaching I have used the Internet a lot to research the subjects that I teach. The hardest part of this is trying to keep my lessons current and related to my students. RSS Feeds will allow me to receive updated information with out having to spend hours searching and looking for new ideas that I can incorporate in my classroom and also my personal life. I already received an email on the benefits of Vitamin D for the treatment of pain to share with my mom.



I have added a new section to my Blog: IZ-A-BEL'S Shared Items which will link you to a website that I have under my Google Reader's List. The site has lots of information to share on teaching tips that I feel will be useful in my classroom.

3 comments:

musicislife said...

Just thought I'd let you know that the Harry Potter books are largely responsible for my daughter's reading for enjoyment. She broke my heart when she never opened all of those great books that I bought for her. Then someone convinced her to read that first HP book, and she finally read for fun. She still didn't read all of the books that I'd chosen for her, but she does enjoy reading now. (The medication helped, too).

IZ-A-BEL99 said...

Thank you for sharing your daughter's love of HP Books with me. I have to admit that when they first came out that I was not a huge fan until my son convinced me to read the first book after seeing the movie. Have a great day.

VWB said...

I too have often wondered what my father, the first life-long learner I encountered in my life would think of all the resoruces available at one's fingertips...I have a feeling it would hard to pull him away once he got started!